One biscuit, a bazillion ways
- January 18, 2014
- 57 comments
OK, so maybe not technically quite a bazillion, but pretty close…
You may or may not have seen my post about my fave ever biscuit recipe-it is from Nigella Christmas and is her Chocolate Shortbread Cookies.
What I LOVE about the recipe is a) it is super easy-bung it all the mixer and done; b) I can normally be guaranteed to have all the ingredients in the house; c) they taste delicious; d) they freeze really well; and e) as I am about to show you, they are infinitely adaptable. What’s not to love?!
Just to recap, this is the basic recipe:
- 250g butter at room temperature (try to ignore the fact that this is a whole packet of butter…)
- 150g caster sugar
- 300g plain flour
- 40g cocoa
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1tsp baking powder
- Pre-heat the oven to 170C
- Line 2 baking trays with baking paper or re-usable liners
- Put all the ingredients into a Magimix type food processor and whiz until it forms a dough
- Place tablespoons of the dough onto the trays, and roll them into balls. I get 20-30 from this mix. I flatten them down a bit with a fork as I like the ridges that it leaves
- Bake for about 15 minutes, remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10-15minutes before removing to cool completely on a cooling rack
And here are some ideas for some variations:
- Add white chocolate chips or chunks to the recipe above
- Use a little less cocoa powder, and add in some espresso coffee powder, for mochachino biscuits
- Omit the cocoa and add:
-milk or dark chocolate chunks/chips-these are melt in the mouth scrum my
-raisins and chocolate!
-white chocolate and cranberry
-orange zest or lemon zest
-chunks of crystallised ginger
-chunks of ginger with dark chocolate chunks
-a tsp of mixed spice for a festive version-with or without cranberries etc
-I have thought about rolling the balls of dough in a mix of cinnamon and sugar (like snickerdoodles for those of you who have made these) but not yet tried it
-have also contemplated a pinch of dried lavender (maybe with lemon zest?)-lavender shortbread is ‘a thing’ I think
Any other suggestions of flavour combos for me to try?